Creamy Coconut Pilaf & Curry Vegetables
Creamy Coconut Pilaf & Curry Vegetables blend perfectly together for a full meal or as side dishes. This pairing is rich in flavor and nutritious vegetables. Modified from our chickpea & rice pilaf and variations of curry.
Creamy Coconut Pilaf
- 1 cup light coconut milk*
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 15 oz. chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup rice
- 1 Tbs green curry paste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 small squash or zucchini, diced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, & diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbs apple cider or rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black or white pepper
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
*Light coconut milk is a low-fat alternative. You may also substitute for unsweetened, unflavored soy or nut milk, cow’s milk (for non-vegan), or you may dilute regular coconut milk with water (i.e. 2/3 cup coconut milk + 1/3 cup water for a recipe that calls for 1 cup)
- Begin by preparing your vegetables and placing them in a deep baking pan
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF
- Add your curry vegetables to the baking pan and mix in the oil, vinegar, and seasonings.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, mixing halfway through baking. Remove once the butternut squash and carrots are soft.
- While your vegetables are roasting, in a medium stovetop pot set the heat on high.
- Add in the rice and chickpeas and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then, add in the coconut milk and water or broth, lime juice, pepper, and curry paste. We recommend using vegetable broth, but if using water, add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the pot with a lid and bring the coconut rice & chickpeas to a boil.
- Once boiling, immediately reduce the rice to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes until cooked. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Add a splash of water as needed.
- When the vegetables and pilaf are done, serve together and enjoy.
- Optionally, top with cilantro or chopped cashews or peanuts.
If you’re looking for even more tasty recipes, keep browsing around Hearty At Home! And don’t forget to share your favorite recipes with your friends, family, and loved ones.
For instance, if you find a recipe you like, pin it to your dinner inspiration board!