Tofu Egg Salad
Tofu Egg Salad is deceptively delicious if you’re looking for a lean protein that is relatively low in calories and fat. Serve as a sandwich or wrap with lettuce and tomato and impress your tofu-skeptical friends with this easy to prepare dish.
Tofu Egg Salad
- One 14 oz. block of extra firm tofu, pressed
- 2 medium dill kosher pickles, finely minced
- 5 celery stalks, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbs pickle juice from the jar
- 5 scallions, chopped
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 2 Tbs dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- To ensure the tofu is sufficiently dry, cut the block in half, along its width, and then cut into 8 equal sections.
- Wrap four sections in a paper towel, layer on top the other four sections, and cover with a paper towel. Place on a plate and weigh it down to be pressed by using a cast-iron skillet or a cookie sheet weighted with a cookbook or pot. Press for 20-25 minutes at least.
- Meanwhile, prepare your remaining ingredients.
- Remove excess liquid from the tofu and lightly crumble by hand into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine with celery, pickles, pickle juice, seasonings, vegan mayo, and dijon mustard.
- Fold together carefully with a rubber spatula.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Serve the tofu egg salad as a sandwich or wrap with lettuce and tomato or enjoy as a high-protein snack with rice crackers.
If you’re looking for even more tasty recipes, keep browsing around Hearty At Home! And don’t forget to share your favorite recipes with your friends, family, and loved ones.
For instance, if you find a recipe you like, pin it to your dinner inspiration board!