This Vegan Chorizo is so delicious and stands up as a strong competitor against store-bought versions that you might find at Trader Joe’s or other grocery stores with whole food sections. All you need is extra-firm tofu and a few simple ingredients. Pair this recipe with vegetable fajitas and rice or make some delicious tacos with this chorizo!
For a soy-free option, we recommend trying Beyond Meat’s ground beef and cooking according to their packaging.
- 1 14 oz. package extra-firm tofu, drained & lightly crumbled (no pressing required)
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbs smoked paprika
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbs ketchup
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 Tbs Olive oil for cooking
- Optional topping: lime juice, chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl using clean hands or a fork, crumble the tofu into medium-sized pieces. The tofu shouldn’t be too fine.
- Then, using a rubber spatula, carefully fold in each ingredient (except for the olive oil) one at a time.
- Once the tofu is fully combined, heat a skillet on high heat and add the olive oil.
- When the pan is hot, set heat to medium-high and add the tofu into one thin layer. If your skillet is large enough, you can do this in one batch, otherwise split the tofu in half and cook in two batches.
- Cook the tofu in the skillet for 4 minutes, no stirring required.
- After 4 minutes, flip the tofu and cook the other side for another 3-4 minutes or until evenly browned.
- Repeat with remaining tofu if needed.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
This vegan chorizo can be stored and reheated to make some delicious breakfast tacos or be served for lunch the next day. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
If you’re looking for even more tasty recipes, keep browsing around Hearty At Home! And don’t forget to share your favorite recipes with your friends, family, and loved ones.
For instance, if you find a recipe you like, pin it to your dinner inspiration board!