Butternut Squash Pasta
Butternut Squash Pasta is a great recipe for making use of all that seasonal squash! Roasted butternut squash is a perfect base for a creamy pasta sauce that is low in fat but rich in nutrients. For a gluten-free version, simply use gluten-free pasta.
Serves: 6 Time: 45 minutes
Butternut Squash Pasta
- 1/2 large butternut squash, cubed
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbs olive oil, divided into 3
- Box of penne or rotini pasta
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 4-5 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbs Balsamic vinegar
- Begin by preheating the oven to 400ºF and preparing your squash.
- Add the butternut squash to a baking sheet and mix with 1/2 Tbs olive oil and a pinch fo salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, begin preparing the onion and garlic and set aside from the broccoli and mushrooms.
- Then, begin boiling water to cook your pasta.
- When the squash has roasted, remove from the oven and set aside.
- Then, in a medium-large stovetop pot, add another 1/2 Tbs olive oil to high heat.
- Once hot, begin sauteeing the onion and garlic, cooking for about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the onion/garlic from heat and mix in the butternut squash and seasonings.
- Then transfer to a food processor or use an immersion blender to cream together the squash and onion, adding about 2-3 large spoonfuls of the pasta water to thin it out.
- Return the squash sauce to the stove and set heat to low. Continue adding pasta water to reach desired consistency of the sauce.
- Next, use the remaining oil to heat in a small skillet. Once hot, sauté the broccoli and mushrooms, cooking for about 7 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Then, add the balsmic vinegar to the skillet. Cook for another 2-3 minutes then remove from heat.
- Drain the pasta from the water once cooked, then transfer to the squash sauce, toss in the broccoli and mushrooms.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you’re looking for even more tasty recipes, keep browsing around Hearty At Home! And don’t forget to share your favorite recipes with your friends, family, and loved ones.
For instance, if you find a recipe you like, pin it to your dinner inspiration board!