Strawberry-Rhubarb Aquafaba Ice Cream
Strawberry-Rhubarb Aquafaba Ice Cream is delicious, light, and refreshing. This reduced sugar recipe is easy to make with just a couple of bowls, pans, a mesh strainer, and a mixer. No ice cream maker is required! Try making this ice cream with different flavors or fruit combinations.
- 1 cup rhubarb
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Zest & juice from 1 lemon
Aquafaba Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup aquafaba (liquid from chickpea cans)
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Begin by cutting the rhubarb into small chunks and halving the strawberries (stems and leaves removed). Then in a large saucepan, add the strawberry and rhubarb in with the water and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, adding in the lemon towards the end. Once done, allow it to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain the fruit into a bowl through a sieve to remove any stringy rhubarb pieces or strawberry seeds.
- Then, place the syrup in the fridge and allow it to chill for 45 minutes to an hour.
- After your syrup has cooled completely, prepare the aqauafaba mixture by adding all the remaining ingredients to a large mixing bowl. It’s easiest to whip the aquafaba using a hand blender or stand mixer, but you can also whip the ingredients together until the aquafaba has turned into a glossy foam with stiff peaks (much like meringue).
- When the stiff peaks have formed, carefully fold the strawberry-rhubarb syrup into the aquafaba fluff until fully combined.
- Transfer the ice cream base to a freezer-safe container and place it in the freezer. Remove and mix together the ingredients twice more within the first hour to try and keep the syrup from sinking to the bottom.
- Allow the mix to freeze for a couple more hours afterward, then serve and enjoy when desired!
If you’re looking for even more tasty recipes, keep browsing around Hearty At Home! And don’t forget to share your favorite recipes with your friends, family, and loved ones.
For instance, if you find a recipe you like, pin it to your dinner inspiration board!