Creamy Tahini Pasta
Creamy Tahini Pasta is a rich and tasty dish that puts a spin on other creamy pasta sauces by using tahini. Tahini is made from sesame seeds which are rich in antioxidants and other nutrients such as vitamin E, vitamin B6, zinc, iron, copper, and selenium. This dish is each to make and can be easily modified for a gluten-free diet by substituting for gluten-free pasta. Make this dish vegan or vegetarian by subbing the pasta water for non-dairy milk or heavy cream.
Serves: 4 Time: 45 minutes
Creamy Tahini Pasta
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 cups kale, chopped
- 1/2 – 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 cups reserved pasta water (or non-dairy milk or cream for non-vegan)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 lb. pasta
- Olive oil for cooking
- Optional topping: red pepper flakes
- Begin by boiling water to cook your pasta.
- If you have a double boiler, steam the broccoli over the pasta and set it aside once cooked (if not, just quickly cook the broccoli in water in a small pan, bringing it to a boil, draining, and setting aside)
- Meanwhile, prepare the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and mushroom.
- In a large skillet, set heat to high and add a dab of olive oil, about 1 Tbs.
- Once hot, begin sautéing the onion and garlic, stirring together for about 4-5 minutes.
- Then, add in the bell pepper and mushroom and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and softened. Set heat to medium-high.
- If your pasta is fully cooked by now, drain and save about 1-2 cups of the water and set the pasta aside. You may also use cream or non-dairy milk for the tahini sauce.
- Next, add in the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. Stir together well.
- Then fold in the steamed broccoli and chopped kale and add the tahini.
- Mix together well until all the vegetables are evenly coated.
- Next, add in about 1/2-1 cup of the pasta water (or alternative) to deglaze the pan. The sauce should start to pull together, continue adding water by 1/2 cup to achieve the desired sauce consistency.
- Fold the pasta to the pan, coating evenly in the tahini sauce. Add more water or cream/milk if needed.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, top with red pepper flakes if desired, serve, and enjoy!
If you’re looking for even more tasty recipes, keep browsing around Hearty At Home! And don’t forget to share your favorite recipes with your friends, family, and loved ones.
For instance, if you find a recipe you like, pin it to your dinner inspiration board!