Johnny Cakes, also once known as journey cakes, are a delicious breakfast option that can be modified to accommodate all types of food allergies. This recipe is vegan and gluten-free friendly. Just top with some blueberries and maple syrup and enjoy!
- 2/3 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 c. gluten-free flour
- 1 Tbs agave nectar (or granulated sugar)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4-1 cup plain oat milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 Tbsp melted vegan butter (plus extra for cooking)
- Additional add-ons: blueberries (rinsed), sliced bananas, peanut butter
- Begin by adding the cornmeal, gluten-free flour, agave nectar, baking powder, and salt to a medium-large mixing bowl. Whisk together until well combined.
- Add the vegan butter and mix. Then gradually add the oat milk to the dry ingredients. Gently stir in until the batter is semi-thick. All of the oat milk may not be needed to achieve this.
- A couple of small lumps in the batter are okay, but be careful to not over-mix the batter.
- Once you’ve achieved a semi-thick mixture, allow it to sit for 10 minutes. In the meantime, prepare additional add-ons if desired.
- Preheat a griddle or cast-iron skillet on medium to med-low heat. Once hot, lightly drizzle the pan with vegan butter. Use a paper towel to wipe away excess – don’t leave any pools of butter.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle or skillet. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until bubbles appear and the sides are slightly dry.
- Flip with a spatula and cook for another 2-4 more minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. Apply and wipe a bit more vegan butter in-between cakes.
- Place your johnny cakes on a plate and keep warm in the oven set to 200ºF until you are ready to serve.
- You can add some blueberries to the batter while it is cooking, though it makes the flipping difficult. You may need to cook one side an extra minute longer.
- Serve with additional toppings as desired and enjoy!
Best enjoyed fresh, but extras can be stored in the freezer up to a week.
Check out some of our other breakfast recipes
Finally, if you’re looking for even more tasty recipes, keep browsing around Hearty At Home! And don’t forget to share these recipes with your friends, family, and loved ones.
For instance, if you find a recipe you like, pin it to your dinner inspiration board!