Mocha Brownies that are allergen-friendly, rich, moist & delicious! A hint of coffee makes for a lovely mocha cocoa flavor. A perfect treat to make for a friend or special occasion or if you’re just feeling for a chocolate-y dessert! For a gluten-free version, substitute the flour for gluten-free flour.
Yield: 18 brownies Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 + 1 tbs cup melted non-dairy butter
- 1/2 + 1/3 cup non-dairy milk*
- 1/2 cup coffee beans
- 1/4 tsp coffee extract (optional)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup allergen-friendly chocolate chips
*You can supplement 1/2 cup of the milk for cold brew coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and prepare an 8-inch squash baking pan by lightly greasing it with a bit of oil.
- Begin by pouring the non-dairy milk into a small saucepan and then add the coffee beans. Set heat to low on the stove and allow it to simmer together for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- You should be able to smell the coffee come through but you don’t want to scorch the milk. Remove from heat once done and allow it to cool completely.
- Then, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Create a well in the center.
- Drain the coffee-steeped milk into the center of the wet ingredients, and discard the coffee beans.
- Add the coffee extract and non-dairy butter to the bowl as well.
- Mix together the ingredients of a smooth, creamy batter is formed.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan, place brownies in the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes. The top should be firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting.
You may choose to dust with powdered sugar, try mixing a bit of cocoa powder in with the powdered sugar or try making an icing or serving with coffee ice cream.
If you’re looking for even more tasty recipes, keep browsing around Hearty At Home! And don’t forget to share your favorite recipes with your friends, family, and loved ones.
For instance, if you find a recipe you like, pin it to your dinner inspiration board!