Eggplant & Sausage Stew
Eggplant & Sausage Stew with bell pepper, tomato, onion, and garlic. Adapted from the Veganomicon, this hearty stew is rich in flavor and protein! You can use a meat-based or plant-baed sausage, or you can substitute the sausage for a hearty bean like chickpeas or fava beans. This recipe requires a lot of steps and patience, but the longer you let this stew simmer, the better it tastes as those flavors marinate.
Serves: 6 Time: 70-80 minutes
Eggplant & Sausage Stew
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz. whole canned tomatoes
- White wine or white vinegar or deglazing
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp coriander or dried basil
- 2-4 sausages, chopped
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Prepare your eggplant by quarter cutting it across the length, then slice across into 3/4 inch slices.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly arrange the eggplant onto the pans. Brush or lightly drizzle olive oil on the tops of the eggplant.
- Cut the bell peppers in half, removing the seeds and stems. Lay the cut side down on the baking sheets with the eggplant, brushing the outside with oil.
- Then, remove the papery skin of the garlic bulb and place that on one of the baking pans. Place the pans in the oven and begin roasting for 25 minutes.
- After that time has passed, remove the pans from the oven and place the bell peppers in a plastic bag or saran wrap. Leave at room temperature to steam. This will make the skin easier to remove later.
- Then, flip the eggplant and lightly drizzle and brush the other sides. Place the trays back in the oven and roast for another 15 minutes. After this bake, remove the pans and set the garlic aside to cool.
- Next, in a soup pot, set heat to medium. Once hot, add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pot and sauté the onion for 10-12 minutes. After the onion has lightly carmelized, add the garlic and cook for two minutes.
- Then, add a splash of white wine or vinegar, herbs, and tomatoes. Tear at the tomatoes by hand or with a wooden spoon before adding to the pot. Cook together for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the eggplant and lightly crush with a spoon. Remove the skin from the bell pepper and chop into a small dice. Place in the soup pot. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook your sausage or plant-based sausage according to its packaging. Chop it in advance.
- Once cooked, add the sausage to the soup pot and simmer for another 10-20 minutes (or as long as you can wait) along with the garlic bulb roasted and removed from its skin.
- Serve the stew with a dash of parmesan or a dash of dried basil and enjoy!
If you’re looking for even more tasty recipes, keep browsing around Hearty At Home! And don’t forget to share your favorite recipes with your friends, family, and loved ones.
For instance, if you find a recipe you like, pin it to your dinner inspiration board!