Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet Potato Soup is rich, vegan-friendly, and packed with flavor! Plus this dish is full of vitamin A and potassium.
This recipe is made easier by having an immersion blender, but a food processor can also get the job done! Our recipe calls for added spice to balance out the sweetness, but you can leave out the cayenne if you’d prefer a more mild flavor.
Sweet Potato Soup
- 4-5 cups sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or 2 cups broth and one 15 oz. can of lite coconut milk for added creaminess)
- 1 tsp black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice
- A small pinch of Thai chili pepper flakes
- In a large pot, add diced onion and minced garlic and cook on high heat for one minute. Add a splash of water and cook for five minutes.
- Then, add the sweet potato and carrot. Cook for 5-7 more minutes. Add black pepper and additional spicy seasonings if desired.
- Add the vegetable broth (or broth/coconut milk combo) and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the sweet potato has softened.
- Turn off the heat and use your immersion blender (or transfer batches of soup to a food processor) and blend your soup until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve hot with chopped cilantro or green onions and crackers or toast.
Store leftovers in the fridge for 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to two weeks.
Finally, if you’re looking for even more tasty recipes, keep browsing around Hearty At Home! And don’t forget to share these recipes with your friends, family, and loved ones.
For instance, if you find a recipe you like, pin it to your dinner inspiration board!