Homemade Pico de Gallo
6-7 roma tomatoes
1 large yellow onion
½ bunch of cilantro
2 garlic cloves
Salt to taste
1 can of El Pato Salsa de Chile Fresco (found in Latinx grocery stores or international aisle at your regular grocery store)
Tortilla chips (for serving)
- Finely dice the tomatoes and onion and place in a mixing bowl. To get the perfect ratio of spice to the pico, you want an even amount of tomato and onion so you’ll have to measure it by eye.
- Finely mince the garlic cloves and add to the bowl.
- Use as much or as little cilantro as you would like, you can de-stem the leaves or use the stem.
- Cut the lime in half and juice the entire lime into the bowl.
- Add the cumin and then salt to taste, approx ¼ teaspoon.
- Add the can of el pato to the bowl and mix thoroughly with a spoon or spatula.
- Transfer the pico to a container that can be sealed and let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. Goes great as a dip with tortilla chips or can be served over rice and beans, or added to a burrito or salad for an extra fresh kick.