Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
The winter holiday season calls for cookies! This recipe for vegan gingerbread cookies can also be adapted for gluten-sensitive diets.
- 3 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbs ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup dark or light molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar (for topping)
- To begin, in a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Set it aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, using a whisk or hand mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar together until smooth and creamy, for about 1 minute. Add the molasses and vanilla, and beat the mixture again until creamy.
- Then, gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Fully combine the flour into the butter before adding more flour. With a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. When all the flour has been added, the dough should be fully formed.
- With the dough, divide it into two halves and roll each into a ball. Wrap each ball in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge and chill for at least 3 hours and up to 2 days.
- Once the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 350°F and line at least 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. When using a rolling pin, the dough should be about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut the dough using cookie cutters (of your preferred shape) and then transfer the cookies onto the baking sheets, leaving a 1/2 inch of space between cookies.
- Reroll any excess dough and repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Place the trays in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Once baked, transfer the baking sheets to cooling racks.
- Once the cookies have cooled, use a mesh strainer or sifter to sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the cookies.
Finally, if you’re looking for even more tasty recipes, keep browsing around Hearty At Home! And don’t forget to share these recipes with your friends, family, and loved ones.
For instance, if you find a recipe you like, pin it to your dinner inspiration board!