Seitan Bacon is a great plant-based addition to your weekend breakfast. This marinade makes for a quick, easy, and savory seitan. For a wheat-free option, try this marinade with tempeh cut into thin strips.
Seitan (say-tan) is a wheat gluten meat substitute that is cooked by either poaching or simmering it in water or broth. Seitan is a low-calorie, low-saturated-fat and low-carb food that is a good source of iron and surprisingly rich in protein.
- 6-8 pieces of seitan cut into thin strips
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 3 drops of liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- dash of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Dash of olive oil
- Mix the ingredients (except for the seitan) in a small bowl, the marinade should be smooth and not to thick.
- Brush the seitan strips in the marinade and allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small skillet on medium heat.
- Once hot, lightly oil the skillet and cook the marinated seitan strips for 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned and lightly crisp.
- Remove the seitan from the skillet, serve hot and enjoy!
If you’re looking for even more tasty recipes, keep browsing around Hearty At Home! And don’t forget to share your favorite recipes with your friends, family, and loved ones.
For instance, if you find a recipe you like, pin it to your dinner inspiration board!