Mint Chocolate Scones
Mint Chocolate Scones that are vegan and allergen-friendly. These scones are low in sugar and absolutely scrumptious when served with coffee or tea. Serve them fresh when hot and you can store them at room temperature for 2-3 days in the refrigerator for 5 days. If storing in the refrigerator, you can reheat them in the oven at a low temperature for 5-10 minutes or in the microwave for 15 seconds.
If you are gluten-free, substitute for gluten-free flour
Mint Chocolate Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg replacer or 1 Tbs flax meal mixed with 2 Tbs warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 Tbs cold smart balance or other vegan butter
- 2 tsp fresh mint leaves, chopped*
- 1/4 cup allergen-friendly chocolate chips
- Oat milk (as needed)
- *If you don’t have fresh mint, substitute 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbs Oat milk
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, vanilla, and sugar. Whisk together.
- Create a hole in the middle of the flour mix and pour in the egg replacer.
- On top of that, add in the 8 Tbs of cold vegan butter.
- Using your hands or a pastry blender, mix the wet ingredients into the dry. The dough should be semi-firm but easily shapeable and not too sticky. If the dough is very dry, add a splash of oat milk or other non-dairy milk as needed. Fold in the mint and chocolate chips by hand.
- Once well combined, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form it together into a log about 1 1/2 – 2 inches in height.
- Use a pastry cutter or knife to cut out triangles along the length of the dough log.
- Add the shaped scones to a baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, rotating, and baking for 10-12 more minutes or until the scones are lightly golden.
- If using icing, mix together those ingredients to achieve an icing that is not too liquidy. Pour over the scones after they have cooled.
- Serve with a cup of coffee or tea and enjoy!
If you’re looking for even more tasty recipes, keep browsing around Hearty At Home! And don’t forget to share your favorite recipes with your friends, family, and loved ones.
For instance, if you find a recipe you like, pin it to your dinner inspiration board!